Welcome to The Buzz
Explore expert opinion, insights, news, and updates from the world of bookkeeping.
CRA Update: Introducing the new Confirm my Representative service
Source: Canada Revenue Agency
On October 18, 2021, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) is introducing a new, two-step verification process to make authorizing a representative using Represent a Client more efficient and secure. The new process makes it easier for clients to confirm who has access to their personal and tax information, helping them play an active role in protecting their information. Whether your client is an individual or a business, they can now verify who has access to their personal and tax information by signing in to My Account or My Business Account, without waiting for a confirmation call from the CRA.
The new process applies to all new authorization requests submitted through Represent a Client, including when you have a new client or when you are requesting a higher level of access to an existing client’s information. If you already have a client’s authorization and do not need to change your level of access, you will not be affected.
How it works:
1. The first step is making sure your client has My Account or My Business Account. If they haven’t used the CRA’s digital services before, they will need to register for an account. There is guidance on how to register attached to this email. We have also created two step-by-step videos that walk through the process of registering. We encourage you to share these resources with your client.
2. Once registered, we recommend your client enables email notifications to make sure they are notified when they receive a new authorization request. Find out more about how to enable email notifications for individuals or businesses.
3. Sign in to Represent a Client and open a new authorization request. You will need to submit a certification page signed by your client using our “Submit Documents” service in order to complete the request.
4. Once you have submitted your authorization request, your client will be notified by email – if they have enabled email notifications – that someone has requested access to their account. They must then sign in to My Account or My Business Account to confirm or deny the pending request with the click of a button found in the Authorized Representatives section of their account.
5. You can view the status of your authorization requests in Represent a Client. Once a request is confirmed, you will be granted access within one business day. Your client must confirm or deny the authorization request within ten business days, or the request will be cancelled and you will need to submit a new one.
If your client is an individual, they can choose to verify access to their account by providing additional information instead of using the new “Confirm my Representative” service. In this case, your client will need to give you information from their notice of assessment, from a tax return that was processed at least six months earlier. When you submit your authorization request, you will need to provide this information. If this option is chosen, your client may be contacted by the CRA to verify the request.
Please note: The new process only applies to new authorization requests submitted through Represent a Client. If you use EFILE and certified tax software to submit your clients’ returns, including authorization requests, you will not be impacted.