Sponsored advertising

Sponsored advertising

Welcome to The Buzz

Explore expert opinion, insights, news, and updates from the world of bookkeeping.

CRA/ARC: Students: Are you ready for tax season? / Étudiants : êtes-vous prêts pour le temps des impôts?

Share on:

Students: Are you ready for tax season?

Filing your tax return is nothing new. This year’s theme is life events: we know there are a lot of little moments that can add up to big changes in life. To help you report important life changes for tax season, the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) has some useful tips and information.

Filing and payment deadlines

Tax season opened on February 19, 2024, and you can use a host of methods to file your 2023 income tax and benefit return online. The deadline for most Canadians to file a tax return and pay any amount they owe is April 30, 2024.

If you or your spouse or common-law partner are self-employed, both of you have until June 15, 2024, to file your tax returns. As that date falls on a Saturday, your return will be considered filed on time if the CRA receives it or it is postmarked on or before June 17, 2024. Just keep in mind that if you owe money to the CRA, your payment is due on April 30, 2024.

Tuition and education expenses

We know how expensive school costs can be but don’t be discouraged, you may be able to claim an education-related deduction or a credit on your tax return. Here are a few you could be eligible for:

  • Tuition tax credit: If you are 16 years or older, you may be able to claim your tuition fees at a post-secondary institution as a credit to reduce the taxes you pay on your return. You may also be able to claim fees paid to take an accreditation examination for a profession or trade in Canada. You can also transfer all or part of your current year’s federal tuition fees, or other education amounts to a designated person, or you can carry the credit forward to claim on a future tax return.
  • Moving expenses: You may be able to claim moving expenses if your new home is at least 40 kilometres closer (by the shortest public route) to your new school or your new work location.
  • Interest paid on student loans: You may be eligible to claim part of the interest you’ve paid since 2018 on your student loans for post-secondary education if the loans were issued under certain student loan acts.

Isn’t it great how many resources are available to you!

Benefit and credit payments

You might be entitled to regular benefit or credit payments like the goods and services/harmonized sales tax (GST/HST) credit or the Canada child benefit:

  • If you are 19 years or older, you may be eligible to receive the quarterly tax-free GST/HST credit and Canada Carbon Rebate (formerly known as the Climate action incentive payment) even if you do not have any income to report.
    • Those under 19 who have or have had a spouse, common-law partner or child they live(d) with are also eligible.
  • If you have a child under 18 years, the Canada child benefit is a tax-free monthly payment that helps with the cost of raising your family.
  • We invite you to visit the Taxes and benefits for Indigenous Peoples webpage, which offers information about tax filing, as well as benefits and credits for Indigenous Peoples. Visit this webpage for helpful tips, resources and guides to help answer your questions about First Nations, Inuit and Métis taxes.

International students

If you are an international student studying in Canada, you could be eligible for the GST/HST credit and Canada Carbon Rebate even before filing your first tax return.

Visit Benefits, credits, and taxes for newcomers for details on how to:

  • Determine your residency status
  • Get a social insurance number
  • Apply for the benefits and credits you are eligible for

Did you know that you could be a resident of Canada for income tax purposes even if you’re an international student? Your residency status for income tax purposes is different from your citizenship status. When you have enough residential ties in Canada, you will need to file a Canadian tax return. Read more about determining your residency status.

Working while studying

If you’re working and going to school, here are some things to keep in mind:

  • Keep records like emails, contracts, purchase receipts, sales invoices, and any other documents about your sources of income. These will help when it’s time to file your return.
  • If you work for clients online, you may be considered to be self-employed. As a self‑employed individual, you have different tax obligations than an employee.

Studying abroad

Are you planning to study abroad? You may still be considered a resident of Canada and will need to file a Canadian tax return due to your residential ties.

In some cases, you may be considered a factual resident or a non-resident for income tax purposes, so it’s important to know your tax obligations.

If you have returned to Canada after studying abroad, make sure to check your residency status to know about your tax obligations for the 2024 tax season.

Buying and selling

Navigating a new city, new digs or new responsibilities can be overwhelming. But don’t worry, we’ve got you. Here are some resources to help you out:

Digital services

Take advantage of our digital services and make life easy:

  • My Account lets you check when your next benefit payment is, if you have uncashed cheques, the status of your tax return (and refund, if you’re getting one), if your personal information is up-to-date, and so much more.
  • Sign up for direct deposit to get your tax refund and benefit payments deposited directly into your account.

Repayment options

If you end up owing money to the CRA and you aren’t able to pay it all at once, you can set up a payment arrangement to pay your balance over time.

Changes to your personal information

Did you enjoy a recent trip down the aisle? Don’t forget to notify the CRA if your marital status has changed. If there have been any other changes in your life, like to your address or phone number, you can use My Account to let us know. My Account is the easiest way to update your personal information, so you don’t miss out on any benefit and credit payments you may be eligible for.

Free tax clinics

Organizations with the Community Volunteer Income Tax Program host free tax clinics to complete tax returns for eligible individuals. If you have a modest income and a simple tax situation, a volunteer may be able to do your taxes for you, for free. Tax clinics can be in person or virtual. Find the right clinic for you.

Let’s talk about it

If you have further questions, you can ask them in real-time with Charlie, our friendly chatbot. You can find Charlie on the CRA home page and on many of our other web pages on Canada.ca.

Life-long learning

This filing season shouldn’t keep you up at night. We’ve developed a self-paced, online learning tool called Learn about your taxes to help you understand how the Canadian tax system works. The tool includes lessons, quizzes, and videos to break down everything you need to know, from starting to work to preparing to do your taxes.


Étudiants : êtes-vous prêts pour le temps des impôts?

Faire sa déclaration de revenus, ce n’est pas la fin du monde, et pour t’aider cette année, l’Agence se concentre sur le thème des événements de la vie. Eh oui, la vie, des fois, ça peut changer très vite, alors voici des renseignements utiles pour déclarer les changements importants de ton côté.

Dates limites de production et de paiements

Le temps des impôts a commencé le 19 février 2024, et tu peux présenter ta déclaration de revenus et de prestations de 2023 de plusieurs façons différentes en ligne. Pour la plupart des gens, la date limite pour envoyer sa déclaration et faire son paiement (s’il y a un montant à payer) est le 30 avril 2024. 

Si toi ou ta tendre moitié êtes travailleurs indépendants, vous avez jusqu’au 15 juin 2024 pour produire votre déclaration. Comme cette date tombe un samedi, votre déclaration sera considérée comme reçue à temps si on la reçoit au plus tard le 17 juin 2024 ou si elle a été postée (cachet postal à l’appui) au plus tard ce jour-là. Par contre, rappelle-toi que si tu nous dois de l’argent, ton paiement est dû le 30 avril 2024.

Frais de scolarité et montant relatif aux études

On sait que les études, ça coûte vraiment cher, mais, bonne nouvelle, tu pourrais demander des déductions et des crédits pour l’éducation dans ta déclaration de revenus. En voici quelques exemples :

  • Crédit d’impôt pour frais de scolarité – Si tu as au moins 16 ans et que tu es inscrit à un établissement d’enseignement postsecondaire, tu peux demander le crédit d’impôt pour frais de scolarité pour réduire ton impôt à payer. Tu pourrais aussi déduire les frais d’examen visant l’obtention d’un permis, d’un statut professionnel ou d’une qualification pour exercer un métier au Canada. Tu peux aussi transférer une partie ou la totalité de tes frais de scolarité fédéraux de cette année ou d’autres montants relatifs aux études à unepersonne désignée, ou reporter le crédit pour le demander dans ta déclaration d’une année à venir.
  • Frais de déménagement – Tu peux déduire tes frais de déménagement si ta nouvelle résidence est située au moins 40 km plus près (par le chemin le plus court) de ta nouvelle école ou de ton nouveau lieu de travail.
  • Intérêts payés sur un prêt étudiant– Tu pourrais avoir le droit de demander un montant pour une partie des intérêts payés depuis 2018 sur un prêt étudiant que tu as obtenu pour des études postsecondaires. Le prêt doit avoir été accordé conformément à certaines lois sur les prêts étudiants.

C’est fou qu’il y ait autant de ressources pour t’aider!

Prestations et crédits

Tu pourrais avoir droit à des versements réguliers de prestations et crédits comme le crédit pour la TPS/TVH ou l’allocation canadienne pour enfants.

  • Si tu as au moins 19 ans, tu pourrais recevoir tous les trois mois un versement non imposable du crédit pour la TPS/TVH ou de la remise canadienne sur le carbone (anciennement l’incitatif à agir pour le climat), même si tu n’as aucun revenu à déclarer.
    • Si tu as moins de 19 ans, tu pourrais y avoir droit si tu vis en couple ou si tu as des enfants.
  • Si tu as un ou des enfants de moins de 18 ans, tu pourrais recevoir l’allocation canadienne pour enfants, un versement mensuel non imposable pour t’aider à subvenir aux besoins de ta famille.
  • La page Impôts et prestations : Peuples autochtones fournit des renseignements sur la production des déclarations de revenus, et sur les prestations et crédits pour les Autochtones. Tu y trouveras des conseils, des ressources et des guides qui t’aideront à trouver réponse à tes questions sur l’impôt des Premières Nations, des Inuits et des Métis.

Étudiants étrangers

Tu es venu de l’étranger pour étudier au Canada? Tu pourrais avoir droit au crédit pour la TPS/TVH ou à la remise canadienne sur le carbone, même avant d’avoir produit ta première déclaration de revenus.

Va à la page Prestations, crédits et impôts pour les nouveaux arrivants pour savoir comment :

  • déterminer ton statut de résidence;
  • obtenir un numéro d’assurance sociale;
  • demander les prestations et les crédits auxquels tu as droit.

Il se peut qu’au point de vue de l’impôt, tu sois considéré comme un résident du Canada même si tu es un étudiant étranger. Ton statut de résidence pour l’impôt est différent de ton statut de citoyenneté. Si tu as suffisamment de liens de résidence au Canada, tu dois y produire une déclaration de revenus. Renseigne-toi sur la façon de déterminer ton statut de résidence.

Travailler et étudier

Si tu travailles et que tu étudies en même temps, voici quelques conseils pour t’aider :

  • Conserve tes documents, comme les courriels, les contrats, les reçus, les factures et tout autre document concernant tes sources de revenus. Ce sera très utile quand viendra le temps de faire ta déclaration de revenus.
  • Si tu gagnes de l’argent sur des plateformes en ligne, tu pourrais être considéré comme un travailleur indépendant. Dans ce cas, tu dois vérifier tes obligations fiscales parce qu’elles ne sont pas les mêmes que celles d’un employé.

Étudier à l’étranger

Tu prévois aller étudier à l’étranger? N’oublie pas que tu peux toujours être considéré comme un résident du Canada. Dans ce cas, tu devras remplir une déclaration de revenus auprès de nous en raison de tes liens de résidence.

Tu pourrais aussi, pour ce qui est de l’impôt, être considéré comme un résident de fait ou un non-résident. C’est pourquoi tu dois connaître tes obligations fiscales. 

Si tu reviens au Canada après avoir étudié à l’étranger, n’oublie pas de vérifier ton statut de résidence pour savoir si tu dois produire une déclaration de revenus cette année.

Acheter et vendre

Apprivoiser une nouvelle ville, un nouveau chez-toi ou de nouvelles responsabilités, ça peut être un peu intense au début, mais heureusement, on est là et on a des ressources pour toi.

Services numériques

Utilise nos services numériques pour te faciliter la vie :

  • Mon dossier te permet en quelques clics de :
    • voir quand tu recevras ton prochain versement de prestation;
    • faire le suivi de ta déclaration de revenus (et de ton remboursement si tu en reçois un);
    • vérifier si tu as des chèques non encaissés ou si tes renseignements personnels sont à jour;
    • et bien plus encore!
  • Grâce au dépôt direct, ton remboursement et tes prestations seront déposés directement dans ton compte.

Options de paiement

Si tu dois de l’impôt et que tu ne peux pas payer le montant au complet, tu peux établir une entente de paiement et payer petit à petit ce montant.

Modifier tes renseignements personnels

Quand tu te seras remis de tes noces, n’oublie pas de mettre à jour ton état civil chez nous. Si tu dois modifier d’autres renseignements, comme ton adresse ou ton numéro de téléphone, tu peux le faire dans Mon dossier. C’est la façon la plus simple de mettre à jour tes renseignements. Avoue que tu ne voudrais surtout pas manquer des versements de prestations et de crédits!

Comptoirs d’impôts gratuits

Par l’intermédiaire du Programme communautaire des bénévoles en matière d’impôt, des organismes tiennent des comptoirs d’impôts en personne ou en virtuel. Des bénévoles des comptoirs remplissent gratuitement les déclarations des personnes admissibles. Si tu as un revenu modeste et une situation fiscale simple, tu pourrais faire faire tes impôts gratuitement. Trouve un comptoir d’impôts gratuit près de chez toi.


Tu as d’autres questions? Tu peux les poser en temps réel à Charlie, notre charmant robot conversationnel! Tu trouveras Charlie sur notre page d’accueil et plusieurs autres de nos pages sur Canada.ca.

Pour les curieux

Si tu veux comprendre et te sentir en contrôle dans le temps des impôts, on a ce qu’il te faut. Découvre notre outil d’apprentissage en ligne Comprendre vos impôts qui te permettra de te familiariser à ton rythme avec le fonctionnement du régime fiscal du Canada. L’outil comporte des leçons, des jeux‑questionnaires et de courtes vidéos sur tout plein de sujets, dont commencer un nouvel emploi et remplir une déclaration de revenus.

  • Categories: