Welcome to The Buzz
Explore expert opinion, insights, news, and updates from the world of bookkeeping.
Importing goods to Canada? Register on the CARM Client Portal today
Are you a business that imports goods to Canada using an import-export program account (RM)? If so, you need to familiarize yourself with the Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) Assessment and Revenue Management (CARM) project, a Government of Canada initiative that’s transforming the collection of duties and taxes for goods imported into Canada.
As of May 2024, import-export program account (RM) registrations will only be available through the CARM Client Portal. The CRA will no longer be providing this service.
The CARM Client Portal will allow you to:
- obtain your statement of account (SOA);
- submit, correct or amend your Commercial Accounting Declaration (replacing today’s B2 and B3 forms);
- enrol in additional CBSA commercial programs; and
- submit appeals and track their progress.
Join thousands of importers who are already using the CARM Client Portal by registering today. This will help you to prepare your business for the changes coming in May 2024, when CARM becomes the official system of record for the collection of duties and taxes for goods imported to Canada.
NOTE: If you use the services of a customs broker or other third party service provider, you must still register for the CARM Client Portal. Once on the portal, you can delegate authority to third parties so that they can continue providing you their services.
For more information
- Read about the CARM initiative and register to the portal: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/services/carm-gcra/menu-eng.html
- Email the CARM Engagement team and request to be added to the CARM distribution list: firstname.lastname@example.org
If you require assistance registering on the CARM Client Portal, you can contact
the CBSA by:
- calling the CARM Client Support Helpdesk (CCSH) at 1-800-461-9999 and select option 2; or
- using the Client support contact form